Friday, December 18, 2009

Advent 5




“As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord God: I shall judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and goats: is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture, but you must tread down with your feet the rest of the pasture? When you drink of clear water, must you foul the rest with your feet? And must my sheep eat what you have trodden with your feet, and drink what you have fouled with your feet?

Therefore, thus says the Lord God to them: I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you pushed with flank and shoulder, and butted at all the weak animals with your horns until you scattered them far and wide, I will save my flock, and they shall no longer be ravaged; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.

I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd. And I, the Lord, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them; I, the Lord, have spoken.” -Ezekiel 34: 17-24 (NRSV)



1. Often, we excuse our excess spending during the holidays, and throughout the year, with the logic, “It’s my money, I can do with it what I wish.” What inner fears or rewards drive you to spend more than you can afford or need? How can this passage from Ezekiel help you rethink your spending habits?

2. What kind of message is Ezekiel preaching about stewardship of our earth, our possessions, our wealth, and our time? Do you hear other warnings in Ezekiel’s admonition?

Prayer: Lord, at this Advent season, may you find us to be good stewards of the earth, our belongings, our finances and our time.  May we seek to treat one another with gentleness and kindness, as we also seek to be treated with care and respect.  Help us, Lord, for we ask these things in your awaited son's name.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment